What’s New with FileMaker 14
FileMaker, Inc. today released a new version of its software, FileMaker 14
FileMaker 14 is here and the new platform provides the most complete and flexible experience across iPad, iPhone, Windows, Mac, and the web. New features have been added to speed design and development time, provide more control of iPad and iPhone solutions, and give you access to your data in a mobile browser.
Improvements to the new version encompass the entire product suite -- FileMaker Pro 14, FileMaker Go 14 and FileMaker Server 14. Here are some of the best features of the latest release:
- New Design Tools continue to improve FileMaker’s reputation as the easiest and fastest application platform in the market to develop and deploy custom-built solutions. Tools such as the predefined icons to choose from, support for Glyphs, navigation bars, and button bars provide multiple options to modernize your FileMaker application.
- New Script Workspace for Developers is laying the foundation for the future of scripting with many new ways to build scripts via type ahead and favorite script steps.
- Browser goes mobile with the second major release of WebDirect, including compatibility and performance improvements for mobile devices. WebDirect now allows you to easily publish your application in a browser on the web using the FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Pro Advanced client to build your application.
- Visually organize all your FileMaker solutions in the new Launch Center to instantly find what you’re looking for. Choose from 29 attractive, prebuilt icons to represent your solutions in the Launch Center. Or add your own personal touch with custom icons.
- Take more control of your iOS experience with the new user interface that more closely reflects iOS 8. Other notable enhancements are the screen orientation and signature capture features.
- Stay Connected to your Data. No need to worry if you lose connectivity to your server before saving latest changes. FileMaker will reconnect you automatically when the server is available again so you can pick up right where you left off. Advanced password controls have been implemented to make sure you and your users are at maximum strength. A new Standby Server administration feature is now available to switch over to a backup server so you’re up and running at all times. Standby Server is included in scheduled back-ups.
With every new upgrade, there are always system requirements to be aware of before installing the new version. If you are not already on FM13, we highly recommend you contact IT Solutions’ FileMaker team before upgrading.
If you’d like to learn how FileMaker 14 can take your existing FileMaker solution to the next level, contact us today. We’re happy to discuss what’s involved to upgrade your system to the latest and greatest.
Additionally, if you are not already familiar with FileMaker but you’re looking for a solution to solve your web app development needs, we’re happy to show you how we’ve helped our clients improve business processes and solve unique business needs.
For additional FileMaker resources, check out FM Academy and the Philly FileMaker User Group.